Systers is the world’s largest email community of women in technical roles in computing. It was founded by Anita Borg in 1987 together with 12 other women as a small electronic mailing list for women in “systems”. Anita’s vision in creating Systers in 1987 was to “increase the number of women in computer science and make the environments in which women work more conducive to their continued participation in the field.”
Systers continues to serve this purpose by providing women a private space to seek advice from their peers, and discuss the challenges they share as women technologists. Many Systers members credit the list for helping them make good career decisions, and steering them through difficult professional situations.
It’s important to know that you are not alone. Systers is a community for all women involved in the technical aspects of computing. The list has over 5,000 members from at least 54 countries around the world. We welcome the participation of women technologists of all ages and at any stage of their studies or careers.
Ends on 10/21/2015
Pass-It-On Awards Program
The Anita Borg Systers Pass-It-On (PIO) Awards honor Anita Borg’s desire to create a network of women technologists helping one another. The cash awards, funded by donations from the Systers Online Community and others, are intended as means for women established in technological fields to support women seeking their place in the fields of technology. The program is called “Pass-It-On” because it comes with the moral obligation to “pass on” the benefits gained from the award.
Pass-it-on Award applications are open to any woman over 18 years old in or aspiring to be in the fields of computing. Awards are open to women in all countries and range from $500.00 to $1000.00 USD. Applications covering a wide variety of needs and projects are encouraged, such as:
- Small amount to help with studies, job transfers or other transitions in life.
- A broader project that benefits girls and women.
- Projects that seek to inspire more girls and women to go into the computing field.
- Assistance with educational fees and materials.
- Partial funding source for larger scholarship.
- Partial funding source for technical conferences.
- Mentoring and other supportive groups for women in technology or computing.
Fall 2015 PIO Award CycleAll submissions must be in English.
- Applications OPENS, Wednesday, July 29, 2015 (12:00 AM UTC-7).
- Applications CLOSES, Wednesday, October 21, 2015 (11:59 PM UTC-7).
- Reference letters due Wednesday, October 21, 2015 (11:59 PM UTC-7).
- View >> Spring 2015 Pass-it-on Award Winners
- Fall 2015 PIO Award Winner >> Reports due Wednesday, January 8, 2016.
- Email questions to passiton-2015fall at systers dot org.
Systers Pass-It-On Committee