The Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology (ABI) connects, inspires and guides women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. Founded in 1997 by computer scientist Anita Borg, our reach extends to more than 65 countries. We believe technology innovation powers the global economy, and that women are crucial to building technology the world needs. The Anita Borg Institute is a not-for-profit 501(c) 3 charitable organization. For more information, visit anitaborg.org.
Pass-It-On Awards Program
The Anita Borg Systers Pass-It-On (PIO) Awards honor Anita Borg’s desire to create a network of women technologists helping one another. The cash awards, funded by donations from the Systers Online Community and others, are intended as means for women established in technological fields to support women seeking their place in the fields of technology. The program is called “Pass-It-On” because it comes with the moral obligation to “pass on” the benefits gained from the award.
Pass-it-on Award applications are open to any woman over 18 years old in or aspiring to be in the fields of computing. Awards are open to women in all countries for $1000.00 USD. Applications covering a wide variety of needs and projects are encouraged, such as:
- Small amount to help with studies, job transfers or other transitions in life.
- A broader project that benefits girls and women.
- Projects that seek to inspire more girls and women to go into the computing field.
- Assistance with educational fees and materials.
- Partial funding source for larger scholarship.
- Mentoring and other supportive groups for women in technology or computing.
Spring 2017 PIO Award CycleAll submissions must be in English.
- Applications OPEN, Wednesday, December 14, 2016 (12:00 AM UTC-7).
- Applications close Wednesday, March 29, 2017 (11:59 PM UTC-7).
- Reference letters due Wednesday, March 29, 2017 (11:59 PM UTC-7).
- View >> Spring 2016 Pass-it-on Award Winners
- Spring 2016 PIO Award Winner >> Reports due Wednesday, January 18, 2017.
- Email questions to passiton-awards at systers dot org.
Systers Pass-It-On Committee